Mar 12, 2011

Basement Clean Up

We have lived in our home for almost 4 years, the basement is unfinished and has been a chaotic mess, dumping ground for a lot of our stuff over the years.  Clutter is not my thing! I like things in their designated spot, yes I am a neat freak and an organization junky.  With the basement in chaos, I did everything in my power not to go down there and when I did I cringed.  I wish I had a picture of what it looked like before the major clean up, I don't cause that happened a couple of months ago, a while before I decided to start this blog.  

It took a full day to go through all the stuff that had pilled up over the years.  As I started to go through everything I realized I had things I could donate, sell, send to the curb on garbage day and obviously things I wanted to keep.  While sorting through everything I put things in their designated piles I put the garbage to the curb and brought 8 boxes to a community charity.  I inventoried all the items I was planning to sell.  I contemplated having a garage sale in the spring but I have never been a garage sales kinda gal.  Instead of having a garage sale I took pictures of all the items I'd planned to sell and posted them on Kijiji (an online database to buy and sell stuff, similar to Craigslist).  I have had some success selling items  so it seems to be working for me.  

That leaves me with the things I wanted to keep.  I needed to find a way to keep things tidy, so I started with a shelf I had been given when my grandparents moved out of their home.  I knew it wasn't going to be enough space to store everything.  So I went out and bought another shelf, they aren't the same but, what can you do?  I also knew I wanted totes but I wanted them small enough so I can take off them shelves without having to worry about them crushing me cause they're so heavy.  This is what I came up with.


I doesn't look so bad!  I didn't put totes on the top shelf cause I needed room for bigger items that didn't fit in totes.  I also left the bottom shelf for boxes with Christmas decor.  You can also see my new Ryobi tools on the shelf they are just there temporarily until I find a way to store my tools.  That's my next big organization project, there are lots of options but they are really expensive and I don't know that they will work for me.  So I am brainstorming ideas at this point.  If you have any suggestions let me know.

I found these cloth totes from Ikea for a ridiculously low price.  Yes, ok they are pink but they match the insulation LOL.  They will be tucked in the basement and when we finish the basement they will be in the storage area so it will be out of sight.  I also added some chalkboard vinyl which I cut into cool labels using my Big Shot.  This will let me know what's in each tote and if I need to send the hubby down to get something it is easier to find :-).  I also bought a garbage pail from the dollar store and put all my wrapping paper in there so it's easy to see.

So that's it for my basement clean up.  I am so relieved it's done and I don't hate going to the basement any more.        

No comments:

Post a Comment

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...