Mar 22, 2011

Holy Guacamole

I don't know why but I was in the mood for mexican food... maybe it's because my parents just headed off to Arizona for a couple of weeks.   A few years ago my hubby and I joined my parents for their annual Arizona trip.  One of my favorite parts of the trip was the chips and dip the hotel offered every night during happy hour.  Another part of the trip I remember was a restaurant we went to a couple of times, it was called Lone Star and you guessed it, it was mexican cuisine.  Oh, thinking about Arizona is making me sad I'm not somewhere hot.  Well just to make me feel like I'm there, here is a picture of my hubby and I in Sedona, AZ. at the Chapel of the Holy Cross. It was such an amazing thing to see this little chapel built right into the mountain side, it was so beautiful and peaceful.


Anyway as much as I wish I was in Arizona, I'm not, I'm home and busy as ever :-)  So craving mexican I went to the grocery store to pick up some ingredients for fajitas.  One thing that I'm always missing when I make fajitas at home is guacamole, so when I walked into a local grocery store and saw avocados sitting there I just had to buy some.  And the best thing was they were on sale, you gotta love a sale!  So with avocados and all the other trimmings needed for fajitas in my cart I set home determined to make guacamole... did I mention I have never made guacamole before?  Ok I know it's not hard but I was concerned I would be disappointed.  I found an easy recipe online, but me being me I changed it a bit.

3  4 ripe avocados (peeled, pitted and diced mushed)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1 small roma tomato OR 1/2 regular tomato (chopped)
1/4 (about 3 tablespoons) of a sweet onion (finely chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
a few drops hot sauce (optional)

So the parts of the recipe that are crossed off are the parts I didn't follow.  Why did I veer away from the recipe especially since I had never made it before?  I don't really have a good reason lol.  I guess I used 4 avocados instead of 3 because I bought 4, it was 4 for $5 at the grocery store (shrug and grin).  The hot sauce... although I am Italian I don't do spicy well at all.  


Once I had mashed everything together with a potato masher I put the guacamole in the fridge for a bit until the rest of dinner was ready.  Before I added the guacamole to my fajita I needed to do a taste test.... oh my gosh it was delicious (I stood a little taller, grinning from ear to ear and snuck another little taste) Yummy!!!  Needless to say the guacamole didn't last very long we ate it with the fajitas and for the next couple of days I added some to the salads I brought for lunch.  

For those of you who know me... I don't really enjoy being in the kitchen so this is a big achievement for me.  I hope to share more of my kitchen adventures with you in the future. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! We'll have to do mexican next time we get together - you're in charge of the guacamole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see the recipes that you try and love in the future.

    ReplyDelete

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...