Apr 8, 2011

Not Sew Easy!!!


I tested out my new sewing machine a couple weeks ago and it didn't go as planned.  I went to a local craft and fabric store and purchased some really really cheap fabric to play with.  You know, you the kind of fabric you buy that you don't care if you mess up with. I thought I would start by playing with the stitches.  I was so excited and ready to start pumping out beautiful sewn projects...um ya that didn't happen!  This was the first practice stitch.

UM ya not good at all, right?!?!?!  You can laugh it's ok, I'm now laughing after the fact it wasn't so funny in the moment.  I couldn't seem to figure it out, I thought my setting were off on the tension or something so I played with that, it didn't work!  I couldn't seem to figure it out, I got a bit frustrated, ok a lot frustrated and just left it.  I kept thinking about it and tried to figure it out in my mind, then it hit me..... I DIDN'T PUT THE FOOT DOWN!!! duh!!! Laugh a little more it's ok!  So I rushed home and tried it again and SUCCESS!  I was excited to get a nice clean stitch, I will celebrate the little successes along this journey.


After getting a number of clean stitches I decided to tackle a pillow case.  I have to say it went pretty well, I learnt along the way but that's what this is all about :-)  This is a picture of my finished pillow case.  It doesn't look too bad from afar but there is definitely room for improvement. 


I had some difficulties cutting the fabric.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so when the edges of the cut pieces weren't straight and didn't line up properly I wasn't too impressed.  It was at that moment I realized I would need to invest in a rotary cutter and a nice long ruler if I was going to get nice straight lines with fabric.  So I went ahead and sewed the pillow case together.  I was pretty impressed when I was done but after stuffing the pillow in I realized a few flaws.  The pillow case isn't square so two edges of the pillow have extra room and the other two edges are nice and snug.  The other things I noticed was this....


That's not good, I missed!  I obviously didn't catch enough of the fabric, I think it's probably because of the cutting job.  I plan to keep practicing before I go ahead and tackle the "real" fabric for the project. :-)

If you have any suggestions you'd like to share I'd love to hear.  Learning from each other is a valuable tool we don't take advantage of often enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...