Dec 19, 2011

It Doesn't Feel Like Christmas

I can't believe Christmas is just around the corner, I still haven't wrapped my gifts!  Thankfully I have finished all my Christmas shopping but for some reason I am having a difficult time getting into the Christmas spirit.  I spent some time reflecting on why I am not 'feeling' Christmas and I think I have figured it out and I thought I would share my thoughts with you.
Photo Credit 
If you don't already know, I live in Ontario, Canada...yes Canada, you know we all live in igloos right? lol!  Living in Canada we get the experience of having a white Christmas, I love the white fluffy snow and the cold winter mornings... ok I don't really like the snow, but it sets a nice scene for the holidays as long as everyone can get to their destinations safely.  But this year I think we are going to have a GREEN CHRISTMAS I am shocked I can't remember ever celebrating Christmas without snow,loads of snow on the ground.  I was looking at the forecast and sadly we are getting no snow before Christmas only rain.

The other things that has put a damper on my Christmas spirit is our Christmas plans.  Normally my parents come to our home to celebrate Christmas.  With Christmas being one of the busiest seasons in the food and beverage industry hubby only one day off work (Christmas Day) and I have low seniority at the office so I don't get much time away from the office aside from the stat holidays, which makes it difficult to travel to visit with out families during the holidays.

There were plans for my parents to come this year like every year since we've been married but a wrench has been thrown into the mix.  My grandfather has become very ill, he's palliative actually.  My dad has had to make some very difficult decisions over the past couple of months but specifically over the last couple of weeks.  My grandfather is quickly deteriorating and doctors have said that he is probably not going to be around much longer.  Most recently  my grandfather has stopped eating and drinking and he is now unable to speak and his kidneys are are shutting down.  With that being said my parents have said that they are not going to be able to join us for Christmas.  Don't get me wrong, I totally get it I understand that my dad doesn't want to leave his father during his last days here on earth, I am just sad that we will not be able to celebrate Christmas with my family.

This is a picture of my
 grandfather taken 5 years ago
on my wedding day. 
With the news that my parents weren't able to join us Hubby and I have decided to make the best of the situation and keep up with the traditions and celebrate Christmas with a nice sea food feast on Christmas Eve and a 2 pound stuffed turkey for Christmas day.  I know this Christmas will be different from previous years but I am sure we will enjoy a nice quiet Christmas together.  

One thing that has been heavy on my heart is how difficult this must be for my dad to see his father struggle and in pain so I pray for my dad and that he may be at peace with the decisions he has made and will have to make about the care of my grandfather.  I also pray for my grandfather, that he may be as comfortable as possible and that he would go to our Father in Heaven and enjoy the spot He has prepared for my grandfather.

4 comments:

  1. Aw, Christina, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather as well as the news of not being able to be with family. As someone who doesn't see her family much for holidays I understand that hurt and emptiness. Hope that you and Ryan find blessings and peace in your quiet Christmas and that your Grandfather does not suffer for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope that you are still able to find happiness in the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so sad to watch your loved ones suffer, and I'm sure it's even harder being a distance from them. So sorry to hear about your grandfather. And sorry that it's going on at Christmas time. I pray your family will have peace during this season. Bless your heart -- Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I didn't know you were Canadian. I'm with you - it doesn't feel like Christmas without snow and it's not looking good for this year. It was white last year too and only snowed for the first time Christmas night (I live in eastern Canada).
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. It makes it really tough to enjoy Christmas when someone you love is in pain. I hope you can find a little Christmas spirit despite what your family is going through.

    ReplyDelete

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...