Jan 6, 2012

Make A Difference

Today I am linking up with Ashley over at The Shine Project.  This year Ashley is going to continue to challenge us weekly to be the best self we can be!  Every week Ashley will be giving her readers a challenge so we can all continue to encourage each other.  This week Ashley had us reflect on this question:


"If I could change one thing in the world, what would it be?" 

When I first read the question my mind flooded with things I would change, but there was one thing that just stood out, one thing that I am truly passionate about.

If you have read my "About Me" page you would know I work as a Social Worker in my community, but I have never told you specifically what I do.  To be honest I normally don't tell people what I do.  I don't tell people what I do for a few reasons but primarily safety.   Another reason is because of the reaction I normally get when I tell them, it's either disgust or awe.  I bet you are wondering what it is I do, or maybe you already guessed.... I investigate child abuse, I am a Child Protection Worker.  Even though my mind was flooded with things I would change in the world I knew I didn't have to look farther then the work I do day to day....

If I could change one thing in the world I would ensure that all children have a safe place to live, surrounded by people who love them.  

I know it sounds simple, but sadly child abuse happens all around us.... it's your co-worker, your neighbour, maybe even a family member who is struggling through life and therefore unable to provide what most would expect for their children.  

I have been investigating child abuse for over 5 years and I am sad to say I have become desensitized to the 'less serious' cases and to be honest some of the most horrific situations have become normalized in my mind.   One thing I would like to do is reflect on the emotional barrier I have created to protect my heart and also I would like to allow my heart to be soft and compassionate for the children I deal with daily.  Don't get me wrong, I like to think I am compassionate now but I feel if I soften my heart I will be able to be an even better worker for my clients, the children.  

I would also like to be a voice, a voice that educates people of the abuse children endure in our community and the hardships they have to deal with.  I think I can do this by being open about what I do for a living and educating people how prevalent child abuse is in our community.  People need to know they can be a voice for a child in need, a voice for a child who is being abused.    

The last thing I would like to do is for the children.  I can't take all the children into my home and care for them (although I would love that) but there are many programs that we offer at work, programs that are set up to help children and their families.  I would like to know more about those programs, what they do, and how I could contribute. 

Thank you Ashley for hosting this challenge it has allowed me to reflect on something that I think I have needed to reflect on for some time now.  I look forward to the challenges to come.   

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! It is so heart breaking to know that so many children get abused each year. I am amazed by your passion and I admire you so much for the difference you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this post! I love your drive, passion and energy that you put into your job.
    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter recently started working for DCFS and although she can't really tell me anything, I know she struggles with the problems "her" kids have to deal with on a daily basis. I agree, kids need to feel safe and loved.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...