Jan 5, 2012

Win the approval of human beings?

I wrote about being a people pleaser a while back but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share a message our Pastor preached about that really hit home for me.  
As much as I try not to worry about what others think of me, the pressures I put on myself to look the way society tells me I should, to please my parents, to be as good as that 'other bloggers'.... I could go on for ever!  The message I heard loud and clear was if I am still trying to be a people pleaser I would not be a servant of Christ!  WOW!  I never thought of it that way!  Really, think about it.... when was the last time you did something because you thought it would make someone else happy? Maybe your parents, your partner, your friends, yourself, I bet you do it often, probably a number of times each day, I know I do.  Ok now think about the last time you stopped and thought if what you were doing was pleasing to God?  I found myself realizing that I wasn't turing to Him for the simple decisions I make daily but I was making decisions based on what I thought others would expect of me.  The other thing I realized is that I normally only turn to Him when I have to make decisions about 'moral' issues, the things that bordered on being 'sinful'.  

Although the idea of being a people pleaser and conforming to the standard set out for us by society really hit home and got me thinking, I didn't think the issues was addressed in the Bible.  Boy was I wrong!  Galatians 1:10 says:

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people?  If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.


That's pretty clear!  I am sure I have read through this before (cause it was underlined in my bible) but for some reason it didn't impact me as much as it has now.  I am not sure if it is because I am at a different stage of my life, or because I have been really thinking about what I want to do with my life and what my purpose is.  All I know is that I am grateful this was brought to my attention because I am being intentional in the decisions I am making and the motivation behind them.

Ever since our Pastor spoke about this a few weeks ago I have been thinking and struggling with idea of the pressure I put on myself and society puts on me, it's not from God, He did not set out those expectations, in Him we are all PERFECT just the way we are!

2 comments:

  1. I believe that some verses really hit home to us sometims at different times in our lives. I've read verses before too and got really nothing personally applicable out of them, then went back and re-read them some time later and because of what I was facing at that time, I saw so much~
    Sara
    http://iamtheonewiththecamera.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina, I understand the struggle with pleasing people vs. pleasing God. I'm quite the people-pleaser wannabe, too. I always had perfect grades, have been a top employee everywhere I've worked, and tried to be the "best" at everything. It took me years of spinning my wheels, exhausting myself and wearing out before I realized that's not what we're supposed to do in life. If we are trying to please God and live within His will, life is much less exhausting and much more satisfying. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...