Feb 27, 2012

Unplugged

Last week I shared with you that I got a new laptop computer.  I was so excited when it arrived, I've had my current laptop for about 5 years and although it still works well for basic stuff it was definitely slowing down.  
Via
Hubby kept hearing me say things like "Oh no, oh no, please no....Oh man it crashed" and as time went on it started I started to say things like "Ok let's pray it doesn't crash...please don't crash, please don't crash".  Normally the computer would crash when I was working on design or blog projects and it became very frustrating.  I was making do with what I had and I learnt a few tricks to prevent it from crashing but they wasn't fool proof.  Hubby would often tell me it was time for a new computer, but I always just laughed and said I would make do with what I had.  

Well a couple weeks ago hubby told me that he had tried to get me a new laptop for Christmas but things just didn't work out and he really wanted to get one for me now because he could see how unreliable it had become.  I thought it was a nice thought but I didn't think he was going to go through with it.  I'm a lucky lady and I have the best hubby every.... lucky for us we have a family friend who works for Apple and we were able to get use the "Friends and Family Discount" which definitely helped, Ryan made arrangements and ordered my new laptop. 
I was so super excited when my new computer arrived last week, I couldn't wait to get it out of the box to play with.  Then it hit me...AH how was I going to get all my picture and files I had on my old laptop onto my new laptop???  Well I hopped online and learnt that Apple had a service available to do that in store, perfect!  I packed up both computers and headed to the mall to get my data transferred from my old laptop to my new shiny one! I arrived at Apply super excited, I couldn't wait to get back home and play on my new computer....but then the following words came out of the sales persons mouth and I almost cried...."Oh wonderful we're so happy you're transferring your data to your new computer, just so you know the wait time is about 72 hour right now"...did you get that 72 hours!!!  I went into the store thinking it would take a couple hours at most, but 72 hours.... what the heck was I going to do without my computer for 72 hours? After taking a few deep breaths, I realized I didn't have much of a choice and went ahead with the process.  
Via 
As I was leaving the Apple store with no computer I couldn't stop thinking about how I was going to fill my time? How was I going to blog, how am I going to go without reading my favorite blogs that were on my favorites tab, I just didn't know how was I going to manage being UNPLUGGED for 72 hours.  I know I was blowing the situation out of proportion but honestly I can't tell you the last time I was totally unplugged.

I picked up a couple other things while I was in the mall and then I went back home sat on the couch, turned on the TV and realized why I don't watch TV on the weekends... there's NOTHING on!  I had no idea how to spend my time.  After some adjustments and embracing the change I actually started to enjoy my time without the computer.  I was able to spend time just snuggling with my puppy and hubby.  I did some reading (and I don't normally enjoy reading) and I relaxed which I don't do very often.    

Not having a computer for the last few days has really opened my eyes, it was so liberating!  I think I am going to make a habit of unplugging more often.  What about you, Do you think you could go without your internet, computer or you smart phone for a weekend?    

FindingBeautyintheOrdinary.com

5 comments:

  1. I frequently end up without internet when we are traveling. It is liberating, and allows me to focus on where we are and what we're doing. And the hubs too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is certainly something that I need to work on. I could spend so much time doing other things that probably fall into a more productive realm of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it....unplug.
    Such a powerful little word.
    Learning how to live peaceful
    in a whirling dirvish kind of world
    is high art, indeed:)
    thanks for the reminder,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your blog through cup half full on Finding beauty in the Ordinary. It is always nice to unplug. Its a renew and recharge moment needed even if forced into that situation. You end up focusing all your attention on other parts of the world and the life that goes by when your plugged into the internet.
    Nice post. I enjoyed it.
    Have a nice weekend welcoming in the month of March.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you sound like me with getting a new computer =) I did not know there was a family and friends discount with apple! gonna have to work on that, lol

    ReplyDelete

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...