Apr 17, 2012

What's Holding You Back?

What's holding you back from achieving your dreams?  This is a question I ask myself regularly.  Since I can remember I've been a dreamer, my mind just races with ideas and plans but more often then not it ends there. I've pursued some of my dreams but sadly most of those dreams floating around up there just happen to stay there, it's sad, right? Well, it didn't really bother me much until recently, I guess because I've pursued most of those dreams that I couldn't let go, like graduating from high school in 4 years rather then 5 years at the time, going to University in Toronto a city where I knew no one and away from my family, and getting a job in Huntsville for a summer so I could be closer to my boyfriend/fiancé at the time.  In my mind these dreams weren't negotiable, it wasn't an option to keep these dreams in my mind I guess there was some sort of 'test' to determine whether or not to pursue them with a vengeance.
There are loads of dreams that have been in my mind for decades (oh yuck that makes me feel old) and I have never taken any steps to pursue them I never really understood why.
I have had some of the dreams that have been trapped in my brain tapping on my heart strings trying to get out.  This has been going on for some time but I just try and shut it out and keep going on my way, but they come back and flood my thoughts throughout the day.  This has been happening more and more often with a few of my dreams.  I have reflected on some of these dreams trying to convince myself that they aren't attainable, it's never going to happen, it's not feasible.... Sometimes I let those negative thoughts take over and that has put a damper on achieving my dreams.
I believe strongly in the fact that acknowledging the problem is the first step in the right direction!  Now that I know that my fears and the negative thoughts are what's holding me back I have been working through them personally and talking them through with my hubby and dear friends who continue to provide me with support, encouragement and pray to pursue those dreams that have been in my head begging to be put to action.
I know I'm not the only one who goes through this, and I definitely know I'm not the only one who has something holding them back from achieving their dreams.  I know it's not easy, but I love when you share your thoughts with me so, what's holding you back?

3 comments:

  1. I can blame a lot of things on me not pursuing my dreams. My ex-husband, my lack of money, not enough time-but rationally I know the only thing really holding me back is me. I have a lot of dreams too and like you, they pretty much just stay dreams. I am going to work on one this year, though and I hope I can make it happen. :-) I hope you accomplish yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This feels ironic because (at the encouragement of The Tiny Twig) I sent some emails out to a few people (you were one of them) about pursuing one of my dreams. I'm definitely at this place too. My lack of consistency has held me back. I've taken steps towards my dreams through my blog and an Etsy shop, but have been sporadic about my pursuit. I get in a place where I'm comfortable and hesitate to move forward. But since the New Year I've set routines in place to keep a steadier pace.
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina, you are creative, talented, kindhearted and oh so beautiful (inside and out) I believe that you were created to do great things, and obviously so does God.

    For Dave and I we have two verses that we use in our marriage, I would venture to say almost daily, but specifically when trying to make life choices.
    1. "For I know the plans I have for you, Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and future." Jeremiah 29:11-13
    2."Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6.

    I believe that if you have dreams, which from the sounds of it are those God dreams that stir your heart and make it skip a beat when thinking about it, you need to at least try. "God does not call the equipped, He equips those that are called". Trust in Him to lead you even when you feel discouraged!

    Go after your dreams at full speed. Sometimes taking the greatest risk's bring the greatest rewards. You can do it, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...