Sep 27, 2012

Stepping Out In Faith!


Things have been interesting around here this week to say the least.  Ryan and I have found ourselves praying like crazy and stepping out in faith in ways we would have never considered even months ago. Let me explain.  

You may remember a post a few months ago when I explained that Ryan went back to school to complete a 3-month intensive trades program.  He did amazingly well and had multiple job offers even before graduation.  At that point we were so grateful for the opportunities.  Ryan and I prayed for direction and discernment as he made a decision and we both felt that one of the opportunities was the one for him so he accepted a position.  Ryan was so excited about the position, the work he was doing and the adventure he was on in this new career.  

Days and weeks past and although things looked good and sounded great at the beginning reality quickly set in.  I saw Ryan become more and more dissatisfied with his work situation.  I knew things weren't going well, although I spoke with him about the situation he never complained and always said he enjoyed the work.  

Sometimes Ryan would return home from a day at work and tell me stories about situations that just didn't seem right.  Honestly, they were concerning and what was even worse, I knew that he was protecting me and not telling me everything that was really happening.  

Through all of this I saw a loving husband working hard to make things work so he could provide for our family.  I had a feeling deep down that he was unhappy, I knew he was just 'hanging in' because he didn't want to disappoint me.  

I tried to speak to him about the situation time and time again but Ryan would brush it off as nothing and he kept going to work day after day.  I spent hours praying for him and the situation.  I prayed that we would have faith in God, in His plan and that we would trust fully in him.  I kept praying and praying and honestly, I don't think I was fully prepared for what I was praying for.

Monday afternoon I got a text message from Ryan saying that he was extremely upset and he didn't know if we were going to be able to spend much time together anymore other than on the weekends.  This came as a bit of a shock to me, I had no idea what he was talking about.  After exchanging a few more text messages I learnt that Ryan was just informed that he would be working overnights until at least Christmas and most likely until February or March.  I was shocked but I didn't think it was going to be that bad until I learnt what that meant, I would be waking up to get ready for work as Ryan was getting home and getting ready for bed and he would be leaving for work minutes before my work day at the office ended, we were going to be ships passing in the night, literally.  I almost broke down into tears.  
Image Credit
Since Ryan and I have been married Ryan has worked very hard to ensure that we had at least evenings together and more recently he was able to arrange that we have weekends together as well.  That was all being taken away that after being told, before he accepted the job, that he would not be required to work overnights except the rare shift. 

Although we were disappointed by the circumstances, we realized that many couples manage with the challenges of shift work.  So Monday night Ryan stayed up all night in preparation for his first overnight shift on Tuesday. 

Tuesday evening Ryan went off to work and started the shift with the plan to work through this and explore other job opportunities during the day.  However, there were a couple of incidents that took place on the job site in the first few hours and on break he called practically in tears.  I have never known Ryan to be in such a predicament as he was when he called.  He told me that he knew the job was not healthy for him, for our marriage, and he had had enough and wanted to leave.  Ryan went on to tell me that although he had these negative feeling about the job he felt compelled to stay… for us.  I was lost for words, speechless.... if you know me that's shocking!  All I could say was that I had faith that he would make the right decision for our family, I had confidence in him and supported him whatever his decision was.

It was a few hours later that I got a call from Ryan saying that he had quit and was no longer working for the company. At that moment I felt a sense of relief a sense of peace and comfort.  I think it may have been one of the first times as a couple we have truly relied on God and had faith that He will provide for us and his plan is bigger then that which we can see. 

So as of yesterday Ryan is unemployed and we are praying that God opens the appropriate doors for what’s to come and that we continue to trust fully God's plan through this situation.  We would appreciate your prayers, we believe whole heartedly there is power in prayer!      

7 comments:

  1. Love and Prayers

    God has a plan. He's more interested in character than position. Praying for God's provision and guidance for both of you.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea for your encouraging words. Your prayers are truly appreciated!

      Delete
  2. God has seen you two through many difficult times and He is holding your hands through this as well. Praying for both of you for guidance, direction and comfort. And know that you always have friends to lean on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Kristin, God has seen us through many difficult times and I am so thankful we can depend on Him. Thank you for your prayers and being there for us as friends :)

      Delete
  3. Praying for you both.

    We've had moments like that and I'm always amazed at how God turns what we feel is a difficult bad situation into something good. Keep trusting him and rely on him and he will give you the desires of your heart.

    blessings!!

    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You sound like you just described LG and I situation to a tee! We are trying to figure out what the next step is too and praying the Lord's will so I will definitely be praying for you guys too!

    God has a plan, just keep doing what you are doing and he will work it out.

    Praying!
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina,

    Glad to hear that you had peace about the situation. Will definitely be praying!

    ReplyDelete

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...