Apr 22, 2013

They're Gifts from God

Like may others I often struggle with lies that have been planted in my head by the enemy, lies that make me feel worthless and just all around not very good.  Recently, I found myself questioning the purpose of some of my personal character traits.  I am not sure why but I found myself doubting these character traits that essentially make me who I am.  I was questioning whether specific traits like being strong willed and determined were traits not becoming of a christian woman.  I had this idea in my mind that a christian woman needs to fit into this preverbal 'box' and have specific traits that I felt I lacked, like a tender heart, but if you were to ask me to describe that ideal woman I'd probably respond with something to the tone of 'she'd be everything I'm not'.

After reading 'Intentional with Toddlers' blog post written by Casey a few months ago, about parenting I realized my thinking was off....way off.   One of the points she talked about was how sometimes our children have qualities that come across as negative, but they are a gift God gave them and they just don't know how to 'channel' it yet.  Although I don't have any children, reading that opened the door to a light bulb moment for me personally.  It was in that moment I realized that the character traits that I thought were not becoming of a christian woman were actually a gift from God!  I have these traits on purpose, it was no accident and they aren't anything to be ashamed of.  Through this process I also realized that I have the character traits to fit into that preverbal 'box' of the christian woman, even though they aren't traits that would jump in my mind if I had to describe myself I still had them.
Image credit Jessi from Naptime Diaries 
As I struggled to understand that my character traits are actually a gift from God I found myself going to scripture,  where better to look?  I kept going back to Proverbs 31:25 "Strength and dignity are her clothing..." Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." and Proverbs 31:30 "...but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised".  I realize now that these character traits that I was once ashamed to have are a beautiful gift from God.  I continue to pray that God shapes me and 'channels' my strengths to glorify Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...