Jun 24, 2013

A Soft Answer Turns Away Wrath


Have you ever been so frustrated or angry with someone and find yourself just wanting to give them a piece of your mind?  I hope I'm not the only one that's found myself in those types of situations.  It's not normally like me, but from time to time I just boil over, I just speak my mind thinking it's going to help the situation... it's only later, after the fact, that I realize my outburst only caused more problems than good.  Thankfully I don't find myself in these situations a lot but there are times it gets me thinking about how I get myself into those situations in the first place.  I think for me personally, it come down to self righteousness and pride, normally I feel the need to say something because I want my point to be heard or I feel that what I was saying was right and the other person was wrong.  It's embarrassing to admit but more recently I found myself wanting to speak my mind rather than hold my tongue.  Thankfully it didn't take long to realize that it wasn't a flattering quality and I knew I needed to make some changes.  
Image credit from Good Morning Girls
I went to scripture for some answers and found this verse in Proverbs 15:1 'A soft answer turns away wrath but a harsh word stirs up anger'.  I’m not sure I could have found a clearer message if I had asked but I was encouraged by the words I found in this scripture.  I realized that how I responded to situation with words would impact the outcome.  I know that my intention wasn’t to stir up anger and I realized that I needed to be soft with my words.  I have found myself in a few situations since finding this verse where I wanted to comment but after putting my comments through my ‘internal brain to mouth filter’ I realized my comments would just stir up anger and therefore could go without being said. 

It’s been a growing experience to learn and apply this verse to my life.  I think we can all learn from this simple verse, I know I have been careless with my words and I’m sure others have been as well.  I wonder how different life would be if we all filtered our comments through this verse before reacting in situation with harsh words or with words that stem from pride and self righteousness.  I encourage you to examine your heart and words.  Are you using harsh words to stir up anger or giving soft answers to turn away wrath?    

No comments:

Post a Comment

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...