Jun 6, 2013

We Are Dependent

Did anyone ever tell you that being dependent on someone or something is a sign of weakness?  That's something I was taught from a very young age, my parents would always tell me that I should never rely or depend on anyone or anything.  They taught me to be independent and I believed that if I was independent I wouldn't be taken advantage of.  While I feel there is some merit to my parents philosophy, I've come to understand there is so much value placed on this type of thinking in our broken world.  Independence represents success and dependence is a sign of weakness and failure.    As I've struggled to flush out this philosophy that had been engrained in my mind for so many years, I've realized is there is no place for the philosophy of independence in our relationship with God!

As children of God we are dependent on Him, if it wasn't for Him we wouldn't be here.  He's had plans for us which He prepared before we were even here (Eph 2:10).  Don't get me wrong I struggle with this a lot, and it happens most often when I don't even realize it.  There have been times when I'm going through something, whatever it might be, and I catch myself thinking "I can't do this on my own"... Ya that's absolutely right!  I can't do it on my own and I am not meant to do it on my own.  God wants to have a relationship with us, He wants to be there to help us during the difficult times and celebrate the good times.  
Image from Jobi
What I forget is I am dependent on God for everything in my life, He is my provider.  If it wasn't for Him I wouldn't have a home to live in and a job to pay the bills, heck I wouldn't have food, and I am referring to literal and spiritual food.  Just like everything else around us we are created in God's image and there is no way around being dependent on Him, there is no independence when you are a follower of Christ.  I struggle with surrendering full control, it's something I've shared before, like in the posts Surrender the Journey and Safe in His Hands.  I think it's part of our sinful nature that we want control, we want to take credit for the triumphs and point blame when things go wrong.  What we should be doing is depending on God and His plan for our life, depend on Him for our food both spiritually and literally.  Dependence is not a sign of weakness because we have the most awesome and powerful God, dependence on Him is strength that we could never have on our own.  Jesus says in John 15:5 "I am the vine, you are the branches.  Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." Are you living a life dependant on God or are you falling captive to society's beliefs and living a life of independence?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

As a drama-free-zone, Create with Christina will remove any comments that are deemed snarky, malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate. Let's keep it classy and make mom proud.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...